Sunday, October 18, 2009

Alchemy in Kathmandu

While we were in Darjeeling, I reread The Alchemist (although this was more like my second first time reading it, because the first time I was 11 and I didn't totally grasp the plot...). Maybe this story has inspired my feelings about Kathmandu. One week ago, on our first day here, we did a short walking tour of the old city. In the first 10 minutes, we stumbled into a small courtyard with a stupa and monastery and I felt suddenly extremely moved and enchanted by the environment. The best description I can think of is the feeling of fulfilling one's destiny. I remembered all the time I had spent at the Rubin Museum 2 years ago: seeing a photo exhibition of Kathmandu in the 70's, spending hours looking at thangka paintings and stone carvings, and knowing in my heart, "I have to go here, and I know that I will go here." The satisfaction of finally being immersed in this culture is unimaginable.

So the last week we have been exploring temples and hiking through villages in the Kathmandu valley, and it has been truly incredible (despite a small bike mishap). I have also felt inspired to take many photographs. Here are some of my favorites:






Plus more on facebook (Michael and I have been fondly reffering to "Nepal" as "Nipple")

I have also started doing some doodles about our days here, and will be posting some of them on Drawings of Journeys.

Tomorrow Michael and I are leaving on a 16 day trek through the Annapurnas, some of the tallest mountains in the world. Here is a map of our route:



Needless to say, I am overwhelmingly excited but also a bit nervous to be in such remote areas. So, there will be no updates for a while. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. You're still in the thick of your trek - and I'm thinking about you and so looking forward to hearing about your journey!

    ReplyDelete